Thursday, September 12, 2013

Natalie's Fresh Salsa













This recipe comes from Natalie who got it from Dorothy. Originally developed as a canning salsa, Natalie went the way of all Walter girls and ignored the directive to preserve and prepare for the Long Winter ahead. She made this recipe her own, adding in the black beans. For anyone brave enough to can this salsa, Nat says please give it a try. Then share with the rest of us lazy grasshoppers.

Natalie's Fresh Salsa
10 garden-fresh ripe tomatoes, diced
1 red onion, finely diced
1-2 jalapenos, seeded and finely diced (keep seeds for heat, if desired)
1 4-ounce can fire roasted diced green chilis (add additional can, if desired)
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 handful cilantro, chopped (add more to taste, if desired)
2 cloves garlic (to start with)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon sugar
juice of one lime (optional)
salt and pepper

Mix all ingredients together. Season to taste. Recipe is adaptable: Dad likes it without cilantro. Eric likes extra jalapenos. Natalie loves the green chilis and sometimes adds more.

2 comments:

  1. Yummy, Nat! I made this today. Salsa is one of those things that is never the same twice. Using this recipe as a guideline, I used 1/2 Romas & 1/2 regular tomatoes--both courtesy of Katie's garden. (Thank you, Katie!) Because they were small, I probably used nearly double the number of tomatoes. Nat suggested I start with half the amount of cumin, which I did. That was perfect. It picks up the smoky flavor of the fire-roasted chilis. I actually didn't have canned chilis but I did have an assortment of mild chilis from last week's Farmer's Market that I broiled, bagged, skinned & coarsely chopped. Also, I used the food processor, blending all but the tomatoes well, then pulsing tomatoes to preferred consistency. Really, really good. Thanks for the contribution! Keep the faves coming!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments, suggestions, and memories associated with classic family recipes!